If you’re like most homeowners, you probably don’t think about your roof all that often. But did you know that there are actually five signs that mean it’s time to have a new roof installed over your head? This blog post will outline the five signs that mean it’s time to call a contractor and get a new roof. So if you’ve been wondering whether or not you need a new roof, read on! You might be surprised at what you find out.
1. Regular Roof Leaks
A common misconception about roof leaks is that you have to have a large, obvious leak for it to be an issue. This is simply not true. While larger leaks can lead to immediate problems and should be addressed, small leaks can go completely unnoticed and add up over time. These small leaks, otherwise known as pinhole leaks, will destroy your shingles and eventually your entire roof. They are capable of causing a lot of damage to your homes, especially older homes in particular.
You need to take notice if you’re noticing any of the following watery factors:
- Water stains on ceilings or walls;
- Dripping sounds from pipes, sinks, and other sources around your home.
- Mold growing on ceiling/walls;
- And moss is always bad news when it grows anywhere near our roofs which means we should take action now to help prevent future issues later down the road.
2. Shingles are Damaged
When it comes to your roof, you should always inspect shingles for signs of wear or granules in the gutters. If either is present, then there’s a high chance that these tiles will need replacing soon so make sure not only do they look good, but also stay sturdy! It’s important to replace shingles when they decay because this will happen naturally over time. If you don’t notice any signs of aging or wear on your roof, then it may be best to call the professionals for a replacement and have them take a look at your roof’s current condition.
Signs Your Shingles are Deteriorating:
- Blistering Shingles – Blistering shingles are a direct result of the tar maturing and reaching its useful lifespan. If, for example, it has been exposed to elevated temperatures over a period of time, the shingles will begin to release gases through evaporation. The expanding gas, which is trapped under the surface of the shingle, will expel some of its water content and create the moisture and bubble-like appearance you often see on these surfaces. Blisters in these cases are typically worse for wear and can occur due to extreme sun exposure as well.
- Missing Shingles – Missing or lost shingles are another sign that your roof may be in need of repairs. If a shingle’s tab has broken from excessive wear or from age, it may be deemed as a “lost” shingle. A shingle missing its tab probably needs to be replaced as soon as possible. It’s easy for this problem to go unnoticed since it doesn’t affect the look and function of your roof normally, but inspection will reveal any issues with stability before they become too expensive.
- Rotting Shingles – Rot tends to be dangerously contagious, so if you notice any signs of rot on your shingles, get them fixed and have a professional inspection done to ensure that the problem isn’t deeper than the surface level.
3. Daylight Coming Through Roof Boards
The telltale sign that your roof is in trouble and needs to be replaced is when you see daylight coming through the cracks on either side of where it meets with an inside room. A weakened deck will cause this type of damage, so the best thing to do is call the professionals for an assessment of your roof’s existing condition. The last thing you want is for rain and snow to get in when it’s cold outside. Make sure there aren’t any leaks by checking around these spots every time it rains, However, you should not wait too long before getting assistance because otherwise, moisture will start wreaking havoc on your home’s insulation.
If you see daylight shining through your roof decking, it’s an indication that there are problems with both shingle and plywood sheathing. As mentioned above, this usually means water penetration into the structure which can lead to more extensive damage in due course of time unless acted upon immediately.
4. Interior Water Damage
The symptoms of a leaky roof can be difficult to pinpoint. One indicator may include interior water damage such as streaks, stains, or spots on ceilings and walls that appear suddenly after time has passed without any signs of moisture exposure; if you notice these telltale clues in your home, then it’s likely due to an issue with leaks somewhere along your roof. The best thing you can do is to get professional assistance from qualified professionals who understand what they’re doing!
Credit: National Disaster Recovery
5. Your Roof is Old!
The condition of your roof can be a good indication of when you might need new materials. As with many things in life, roofs come in different guises and have varying lifespans depending on what they are made from – wood shingles typically last 15-30 years while asphalt ones usually only stand about 20 months before needing replacement; this information will help set expectations for budgeting purposes.
With shingled roofs, it’s important to know the history of any previous roof removal. Is there an attic access point? How many layers are on top—and what kind do you have (clay/metal etc.) The ventilation will also help determine if problems arise early or later down the line with sealants wearing out sooner than materials; this means professional assessments should be done before anything major gets fixed.
Whether you are looking for a new roof or just want to replace the worn-out components, it is important that everything is taken care of soon. A sudden influx in expenses could signal that something’s wrong with your current installation and having an outdated one can cause more damage over time, which would eventually cost even more money down the line.
You should never underestimate the value of your home’s roof. If you’re looking for ways to save money on repairs or want information about what needs replacing, consider talking with us first before making any decisions that could end up costing much more than expected.
In need of roof repair or roof replacement?
Moore Construction Co., a roofing company based in Texas, provides quality workmanship for your home. We specialize in shingle roofs as well metal and specialty sailings to ensure you have protection against any weather conditions that may come up! If it’s time for new galvanized rubber gutters or just installation onto existing ones-we’ve got all these services covered too so don’t hesitate–schedule an estimate today!
It’s always a good idea to keep an eye on your roof and be proactive about repairs. If you notice any of the signs that your roof needs replaced, don’t wait! The longer you wait, the worse the damage will get and the more expensive the repair bill will be. So if you’re considering a new roof in the near future, give us a call. We would be happy to help you choose the right shingles for your home and take care of the installation process too!